Also in this section:
Web Development: PHP, Javascript, CSS
09/15/2011 PHP, Javascript, CSS: Wall-to-Wall Studios

As an employee of Wall-to-Wall Studios, Inc., I was asked to work on a new implementation of the company home page, which involved a dynamically repositioning display of the company's latest projects. I did the CSS and leveraged the Isotope JS library for tiling and dynamic placement. It looks and works great, and scales to all kinds of widths.

01/03/2005 PHP, Javascript, CSS: Miss Williamsburg

Mikesell Design asked me to come in and make changes to the HTML, CSS, and PHP templates of the Miss Williamsburg site to fix various inconsistencies across browsers, and also to institute design consistency on the commerce pages hosted at 1and1.com--no small feat that, since 1and1's commerce system is one of the most baroque I've seen, sequestering everything behind an obfuscating web-based interface. Ultimately I chased down the templates (some obscured by filenames and variables in German) and CMS fields I'd needed to, and enacted the changes. Equally obscure was a problem with one particular Windows XP machine, which doesn't want to display background colors...though equivalent XP machines do. Never a dull moment in cross-platform compatibility work.

07/15/2004 PHP, Javascript, CSS: Consulting for Mikesell Design

Several feature requests later, Mikesell Design and I have launched IRG, the site of Intelligence Resource Group, based in LA. I contributed some database design, hooking up of mySQL to PHP and Javascript, and several rounds of inter-script cross-browser debugging of pre-existing Javascript code. There were certainly some interesting things going on, and with the db hookups they've become more interesting (and easier to use for IRG). The result is once again some happy clients.

05/17/2004 PHP, Javascript, CSS: Consulting for Mikesell Design

I've just finished up some quick consulting for Mikesell Design, on a particularly interesting set of problems for a site that's in development. The end client required that mySQL not be used, so to give them a relatively painless way of updating one of the navigation areas on their site, I eliminated the hard-coded navigation done by another developer, and stocked a multidimensional PHP array.

Having the navigation in an array was essential, so that our actual display code could be as few lines as possible--in this case, one instance of the code for all of the nav links. This helped significantly with the next issue, which was that this particular navigation area needed to expand and collapse using a combination of Javascript and CSS. Given our compressed time frame (which was "as soon as possible"), I adapted some open source code for this, Matt Kruse's DHTML Tree. It's a nice script, degrades gracefully, offers auto-open, and preserved our styles, but...it didn't let us auto-open on IE. (Dan Vine's ieCapture helped us figure this out.) As debugging DHTML Tree wasn't getting us any closer to solving the PC IE problems, I decided to do browser detection in PHP, and serving IE users BleedingEgo's listmenu instead, which lets us do auto-open to a point. (IE's inconsistent application of the DOM means that we can't determine the menu open/close states as nicely as we can in other browsers.)

The last requirement was that the expanding and collapsing menu not change the page length, so an iFrame was a natural solution, and I've ended up with a couple of happy clients.